Requiem

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Requiem

Postby PunkWashGurl » Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:25 pm

what did everyone think of requiem for a dream? i loved it i know its not a foreign film but its so so good...
PunkWashGurl

Re: Requiem

Postby vvasquez » Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:35 pm

I think it's the only film on the subject matter that places addiction as capitalism's most necessary element, much better than Traffic's intentional racial vagueness casting (ultimately submissive to comfortable stereotypes) and other sensationalist images and preachy dialogue.

I loved it too, and think it fits a foreign film category purely for the non-hollywood look and treatment.
vvasquez

Postby vvasquez » Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:39 pm

I think it's the only film on the subject matter that places addiction as capitalism's most necessary element, much better than Traffic's intentional racial vagueness casting (ultimately submissive to comfortable stereotypes) and other sensationalist images and preachy dialogue.

I loved it too, and think it fits a foreign film category purely for the non-hollywood look and treatment.
vvasquez

Postby ygie » Sun Nov 25, 2001 11:30 pm

Traffic and Requiem are two very different films.
Requiem focuses on the addict and Traffic takes a look at the lifes of those who sell narcotics, good vs. evil.

Tell you what my brother who is a retired Drug Enforcement Agent says this movie is as close as it can get to reality.
ygie

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:35 pm

With a flood of slasher flicks coming out every day, It's nice to finally see a horror film. Requiem might be about drugs, but it left me more frightened and disturbed than any crazed killer vampire. As fantastic as it was, I refuse to see it again. It was just too much for me.
stof_

Postby Curt46n2 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:04 am

Requiem for a Dream was one of the best movies I've ever seen. However, to suggest that it fits in the foreign film category is ridiculous. Unless you consider indie and foreign films in the same category, you are ignoring the fact that America has some brilliant talent.
Curt46n2

Postby stof_ » Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:24 am

Curt. This site has somewhat transended the realm of simply "foreign" films. It's become a place to exchange views on films outside the norm. I don't mind that it's an american film at all. It was fantastic and unconventional. thats good enough for me.
stof_

Postby Curt46n2 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:37 am

stof, I was responding to a comment by vvasquez.
Curt46n2

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:37 pm

It is one of the most disturbing films I’ve ever seen. What I mean by that isn’t what was in it but the feeling you were left with.

It is truly superb!

*SPOLIER ALERT*
It truly shows that even with the best intentions how wrong things can go. None of them meant for things to get that bad, especially the mum. All she wanted was to lose weight. The way it was left at the end, so dark was brilliantly shocking.
Ria

Postby smurfrevolt » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:39 am

I love this film! It makes me have an inferiority complex as a filmmaker; you are (I am) awed by the technique, and especially the way it was presented.
smurfrevolt

Next

Return to Film Talk