Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby A » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Nope, haven't written any comments on them.
You know, I'm a lazy bone
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 am

"Second, unfortunately I still haven't seen Away from Her, and missed quite a few others, but I will catch it on dvd."

I hope you do. Perhaps A could review the film in the meantime; if not, then I'll write one when the film appears on DVD.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I hate to admit it, but Away from Her is actually one of the dozen unfinished reviews i have started in March after the Berlinale. And it's one of the most demanding. Maybe I'll be able to finish it or bring it to a closure in a simpler form. But the Sokurov has already been much work to finalize.
I won't promise anything (Oh, I have already made too many promises on unfinished reviews), but it's possible

You should definitely rent or buy the DVD when it's out Trev - that's for sure!
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:56 am

Fast Food Nation would've been more effective as a documentary, but Richard Linklater has done the best he could with investigative journalist Eric Schlosser's dense novel of the same name. The film makes the case for how random and disconnected things really are even though they don't appear to be so. But, thankfully, Linklater doesn't employ propaganda techniques to convey his point; he's too literate to do so. Issues are balanced out nicely at key moments (Bruce Willis's character isn't likeable but there's a lot of truth in what he has to say). I'll comment on more films later.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Thank's arsaib4, looking forward to any further info.

La Vie en Rose is screening in the mainstream multipex's so I may catch it there, the problem though is that I've always found Edith Piaf's singing really annoying.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I did watch half of La Vie en Rose
hengcs

Postby jcdavies » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:57 pm

For August, i'd be interested in Golden Doors, The War on Democracay and Ten Canoes. The Pilger film i'm likely to support politically- as he takes shots at US anti-democratic interference in S.America. Some critics have said Pilger could be more critical of Hugo Chavez, but so far i think his- Chavez- faults have been slightly exaggerated. Of course power corrupts. Mark Kermode (UK TV and radio critic) doesn't seem to like Pilger, even while agreing quite a bit with his views.

Ten Canoes sounds like my cup of tea, not rushing headlong with plot development, described as too slow for some tastes-but with proper respect for Aboriginal culture. And the Crialese film had excellent reviews, one from last year i've long wanted to see.

I was in Cardiff last week, and was even thinking of one day getting an apartment by the bay, if things still don't work out for us abroad- was thinking of you and Chapter, Trev!
jcdavies

Postby jcdavies » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Taking Liberties is another political documentary i fancy, critical of Blair's "Big Brother" Britain- a real problem as far as i'm concerned. each intrusive measure trumpeted by Blair and Reed as if a sign of their triumphant approach when of course it can only ever be a sign of failure and desperation. The Iraq war was supposed to make us safer not ever more at risk. We are already the most spied on nation in Europe if not the world- millions of cameras here.
jcdavies

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Since I've always been a big fan of Piaf, it would've taken something special for me to be satisfied. La Vie en rose was certainly not that. I thought the best aspect of the film by far was Marion Cotillard's performance.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:56 am

Quote jcdavies, "For August, i'd be interested in Golden Doors, The War on Democracay and Ten Canoes. "

hmmm ... i just wanna say The Golden Door would surprise pple ... it is not a "typical" film ... with interesting "fantasy-like" imagery ... i am not sure if many pple really like/appreciate the "plot", but i think many would leave the theatre remembering some of the images from the film ...

as for 10 canoes, there are some reviews on this board ... i have yet to give mine *guilty* ... but i would say it is another film which comes across as "different" ...
hengcs

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk