Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks everyone, it's great to get feedback especially when many of the films have a single screening. 10 Canoes has to be a definite though it's a little awkward that the documentary concerning the film, The Balanda and the Bark Canoes is screening the month before.

Re: arsaib4 - La Vie en rose, would you recommend it to someone who wasn't a fan of Edith Piaf, for the acting, editing, photography etc? The main reason I've been put off her singing was because my father-in-law used to launch into awful renditions of her songs whenever he was drunk.

Nice to have you back John, Cardiff house and apartment prices have risen tremendously over the last couple of years, good luck if you do intend moving back.

Hopefully Madhuban will reappear soon to rejoin our happy band.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby justindeimen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:22 am

I'd recommend La Vie en rose for the exact reasons you cite for doubting it, "wasn't a fan of Edith Piaf, for the acting, editing, photography etc? "

What better way to make a convert out of you?
justindeimen

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:23 am

"Re: arsaib4 - La Vie en rose, would you recommend it to someone who wasn't a fan of Edith Piaf, for the acting, editing, photography etc?"

If you've watched and enjoyed such recent musical biopics as Ray, Walk the Line, Beyond the Sea, etc., then it's something you may like. As I implied earlier, Cotillard performance goes a long way to make it palatable (I won't be surprised if wpqx is forced to watch this for his research one day). The technical aspects or the achronological structure aren't worth writing home about.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 am

Dans Paris has been cancelled till the end of August, unfortunately replaced by a film I'd already seen a few months ago, The Page Turner.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:32 am

Time permitting, I'll add to your review of The Page Turner. But as I mentioned somewhere in the Last Film Seen thread, you've pretty much nailed the film.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 pm

I've got my first tickets for July and have decided to try and catch all the Aussie season, I'll do a thread for them which'll tie up with Ten Canoes.

The only one on the July list I'm still dubious about and which I may not bother with is 'La Vie en Rose'.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

After seeing the trailer for La Vie en Rose, I've decided to give it a miss.

These bio-pics are fine if you're a fan or have any interest in the person but nothing has really attracted me to this one.

Moliere may well suffer the same fate next month though I'm sure I'll see Klimt.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Klimt isn't one of Ruiz's best films (he's made about a 100 and only a few of them are groundbreaking), but it's definitely worth a look.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 pm

The only film I know I've seen from Ruiz is Time Regained, but I love the originality of Klimt's art so hopefully the film will appeal.

I've read comments comparing Moliere to Shakespeare in Love which doesn't exactly inspire me to see it.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:53 am

It certainly helps if one is actually familiar with the Austrian Symbolist painter. Have you seen anything in particular from him?

Lamentably, films about the great French playwright/actor have managed to escape me so far. The new Molire has an intriguing enough cast -- Morante, Luchini, Duris, Sagnier, etc. -- to pique my interest.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk