Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Future screenings at the Chapter, Opinions wanted.

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks for that info arsaib4, following my August listing, this is how it's gone so far:

Moliere (2007) - Laurent Tirard - Didn't bother, not enough interest.

Klimt (2006) - Raoul Ruiz - In terms of construction, it felt like a poor copy of Time Regained, I guess I was hoping for something a little different, definitely had my expectations set too high.

Welcome 2 My Deaf World (2005) - Helen Gaynor - Unfortunately missed.

Longing (Sehnsucht) (2006) - Valeska Grisebach - My opinion.

The War on Democracy (2007) - Christopher Martin, John Pilger - My thoughts.

Ten Canoes (2006) - Rolf de Heer, Peter Djigirr - Film thread.

Private Fears in Public Places (Coeurs) (2006) - Alain Resnais - Film thread.

Paris Je TAime (2006) Assorted directors - unfortunately, this clashed with one of my sons 21st birthday so I missed it.

The Wild Blue Yonder (2005) - Werner Herzog - as above.

Wheel of Time (2003) - Werner Herzog - seeing today.

Les Petites Vacances (2006) - Olivier Peyon - seeing today.

The Golden Door (Nuovomondo) (2006) - Emanuele Crialese - tickets booked.

Flanders (Flandres) (2006) - Bruno Dumont - tickets booked.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby justindeimen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:25 am

The European DVD of "Moliere" is out locally as an import here so I borrowed it from a friend of mine who bought it. I have to say I enjoyed it tremendously. Romain Duris does not at all take his character seriously or in an overly respectful sombre way which really makes his character fun and flawed and opens up a whole new avenue to explore. I enjoyed it more than "Shakespeare in Love" which is its aptest comparison. It references its fair share of Moliere's work so I would say that it would be a fuller experience for anyone that's familiar with it. Again, the best part of the film is how it works as a farce in a refreshing way of acknowledging it when it approaches it. Great supporting performances across the board as well. Would have loved to own a copy if it wasn't ridiculously priced for an import, had better extras and more importantly if there was another copy available since the last time I checked.
justindeimen

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks Justin, I'm sure I will catch Moliere sometime once the dvd has been released here, though Shakespeare in Love did nothing for me.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 am

The Golden Door (Nuovomondo) (2006) - Emanuele Crialese - tickets booked.

I have watched it (last year's Italy submission to Oscar) ... but I think I did not write the review ...
comments: a very weird film indeed ... ha ha ha

Paris Je TAime (2006) Assorted directors - unfortunately, this clashed with one of my sons 21st birthday so I missed it.

get the DVD ... i think i posted the link to it before ...
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:27 am

I'll wait for the R2 dvd, I'm sure it'll be released soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:09 pm

From what you singled out I urge you to watch as much Svankmajer as possible. He isn't always successful, but which filmmaker is. You should at least watch some of the earlier shorts (the one's that are being screened are some of his best!). If I were in your shoes I'd try and see all of it.

Unfortunately I don't have the catalogue for the Berlinale 2007 at hand right now, but you may check on Itty Bitty Titty Committee (2007) - Jamie Babbit on the official website (www.berlinale.com I believe).

Beyond Hatred (2005) - Olivier Meyrou

You need to see this! I was completely blown away by it when I saw it last year at the Berlinale. Arsaib is right, I ranked it quite highly, actually by far the best new film I saw last year. His most recent feature I saw at this year's Berlinale was incidentally also the film I rated the highest at the festival (although I was more impressed by Lady Chatterley). I would love to see what you think about the technical aspects and the aesthetic choices Meyrou made with "Beyond Hatred". I thought they were incredibly sublime. Judging by the two films he's made so far he is a top-notch filmmaker who has to be watched.

Tales from Earthsea (2006) - Goro Miyazaki.
If you see this I'd love to read your response as a fellow Miyazaki admirer.

Reprise (2006) - Joachim Trier
Much praised debut, where I at first wondered what the fuss was all about. But after giving it some more thoughts I believe I can see why this film was so enthusiastically received by numerous critics. Very fragmentary approach with remarkable camerawork, the film as a whole was sometimes too obvious and stepped a bit into the trap of many first feature films, in wanting to pack in too much into its short running time. But it also has its sublime moments. If you are keen on Trainspotting this is a film that emulates similar feelings with more success than the many imitations floating around. A post-modern mainstream movie that entertains and leaves much food for thought. If commercial cinema would be at this level, we would all live in paradise. Very good for a first effort and it might become a cult film in the future.

Out of the mainstream screenings, I may very well see Zodiac after all the positive comments here.
From what I've heard and read, this is a must!

Considering the rest of the films:

I'd love to see all those Cassavetes movies. Maybe it's because I still haven't seen anything by the man (though some of his films have finally been released on DVD in Germany). You're not a big fan, or seen them all often enough?

Bad Film Club: Road House (1989) - Rowdy Herrington
If this is the Patrick Swayze Movie you should go and watch it. An unusually trashy hollywood film. I'm sure you'll have a good time with the right mindset.

Shut Up and Sing (2006) - Barbara Kopple, Cecilia Peck
I've heard and read this is very good but can't confirm anything.

Lady Chatterley (2006) - Pascale Ferran
You absolutely have to see this! Filmmaking at its finest. One of the emotionally most rewarding experiences at the cinema I've had this year. Too bad you missed Polley's Away from Her

Written on the Wind (1956) - Douglas Sirk
You don't like Sirk, or seen this before? If the answer to both is no, you have to see this!

And you are not going to watch such classics as Rope, Red River or Bringing out Baby on the big screen. Shame on you
A

Postby trevor826 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks A, in response and especially as regards the majority of the older films. If I lived fairly close to the Chapter, I have no doubt that I'd be there a lot more often, as it is, it's a long trek there and back (between 6-7 miles) and the timing, especially late screenings can be very inconvenient. That's why, unless it's something I really feel I have to see or a classic I've never seen, I strike them off the list.

The Seventh Seal stays because it's at a very convenient time (2.30pm) plus it's one I'd love to see on the big screen, I've seen all the other oldies apart from A Throw of Dice (1929), so hopefully I will catch that.

Re: Bad Film Club: Road House (1989), I love the concept of seeing a bad movie with a live commentary and a good atmosphere but again, the timing of the event makes it impractical. It is the "Patrick Swayze Movie" and I do remember seeing it years ago, it definitely fits in the "Bad Film" category, in fact dire would be a better description.

I will be seeing Lady Chatterly, but from the comfort and proximity of Cineworld, a multiplex theatre, really looking forward to this despite the running time, in fact from the brief notes from yourself and arsaib4, I'm beginning to wish it was the full version rather than the cut down theatrical release.

Re: Svankmajer, I've recently picked up the excellent BFI release, Jan Svankmajer: The Complete Short Films, I may see the features shown but I'm not 100% on that yet apart from Conspirators of Pleasure (1996) which I'll be doubling up with Reprise (2006).

My choices so far are as follows:

Dans Paris (2006) - 2.30 matinee
The Seventh Seal (1957) - 2.30 matinee
Tales from Earthsea (2006) - 2.30 matinee
12:08 East of Bucharest (2006) - 2.30 matinee
Zodiac (2007) - 2.30 matinee
Reprise (2006)
Conspirators of Pleasure (1996)
Films by Humphrey Jennings (various) 5.00 matinee

Still under consideration

Timing issues:

Itty Bitty Titty Committee (2007)
Unveiled (2005)
Beyond Hatred (2005)
A Throw of Dice (1929)
Svankmajer features

Lack of info:

The Walker (2007)
Calon Gaeth aka Small Country (2006)

As far as 2 Days in Paris (2007) and Edmond (2005) are concerned, they come at the end of Sept and may have better screening times in Oct, I'd definitely like to see 2 Days in Paris (2007) but I'm a little dubious about Edmond (2005).

A point I should mention, having seen dozens of John Wayne films I could very happily leave this mortal coil without ever having to see or hear him again.:lol

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi

I have finally found justin's comments about Tales from Earthsea, 2006

Maybe we could start a new thread becos many pple here would watch it some day ...
I have the DVD but just could not afford the time to watch ...

------------

from justindeimen 29/07/2007

Tales from Earthsea, 2006
- I can honestly understand its appeal domestically. But I found it to be a dour adaptation that took itself very, very seriously. The final act is its best part, while the rest of it was not involving at all and bland with no creative flourishes.

------------
hengcs

Postby A » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I aslo saw only the theatrical cut at the Berlinale though the film is fine like this. The longer version was shown on German TV last month, but I missed it! I would have even watched it with the dubbing...

And I urge you again to watch "Beyond Hatred". Who knows if this film will ever get a release with english subs
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:07 am

Will do my best to try and see it A, time permitting. The film appears to be one that's a fairly regular visitor to the Chapter, this will be the third time in the last 12 months that it's been screened.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Previous

Return to Film Talk