Secret (Bu Neng Shuo De Mi Mi) (2007) (Taiwan)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Secret (Bu Neng Shuo De Mi Mi) (2007) (Taiwan)

Postby hengcs » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:05 am

Director: Jay Chou
Cast: Jay Chou, Kwai Lun-Mei, Anthony Wong

Synopsis
It traces the first love of Lun (or Jay) (a newly transfered high school kid) and Yu (or Rain). They both love the piano, and they both love each other ... but as the title states ... SECRET ... so do not read any reviews that give the plot away ...

My thoughts

What I like ...

(i) Definitely the piano pieces. if you are a fan of piano and music, you will like the film. there is even a segment where two parties are competing their skills on the piano. also, i like the segment whereby the girl asks him, "why do you love to play the piano with one hand?" ... and guess what is the answer?! ... hee hee

(ii) Considering that it is Jay's directorial debut and the film is completed within 40 days, you have to give credit to him. It at least does not bore, and it does not feel too unpolished. While I would not claim that it is totally awesome/flawless, I think it is highly commercially viable ...

PS: and to those who are not aware, jay is rather popular with the teenagers (i.e., as a singer) ... so his popularity has helped boost the box office ... and apparently, the film is doing very well in regions with Chinese ...

(iii) If you do not know the secret, the film does have that added surprise ... my "fun" was spoilt because one of the headlines in certain article gave the story away ... sigh ...

PS: if one were to know the secret, the film might come across as rather "familiar" and less "surprising", maybe one could draw some similarities from other Korean films, Japanese films, or even a few US films ... did you guess it?!

What could be better ...

(i) Although there are some great moments, there are some moments of inconsistency and some scenes of "exaggerated" acting ... don't tell me this is unavoidable just because one wants to incorporate comical scenes ...

Conclusion
Considering it is his directorial debut, worth watching.
hengcs

Return to Film Talk