This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Fateless

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:10 am

I didn't dislike the film as much as you did, wpqx, but it was a minor disappointment. Holocaust-themed films that are situated during that time-period could perhaps only open under select circumstances, depicting certain situations. But at this point it'd be refreshing if the approach isn't conventional, which I thought wasn't the case at the beginning of the film (the precious voice-over narration didn't help matters). What was impressive was that the narrative continuously became spare and epigrammatic, even though the formal level for the most part remained set on "prestige." I also admired the fact that the filmmaker sidestepped any opportunities to indulge in violent or disorderly acts. Not impressed, however, with Morricone's suprisingly banal score (I could swear I heard a slight variation of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly theme at one point) and a low-angle panning-shot of people in repose which is blatantly "borrowed" from Tarr's Damnation.

Postby wpqx » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:58 am

It's been about a year since I've seen it, but it fits the mold of overdone Holocaust films. After recently watching The Distant Journey, I realized I was tired of films about Holocaust survivors, which was part of my problem with this film.

Postby hengcs » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:38 pm

This film was submitted by Hungary to Oscar 2006.

Three aspects of the film struck me ...

(i) Definitely the narration after the war has ended (and the protagonist has returned to Hungary) ... what he says may be "surprising" to many ... it at least set me thinking ...

(ii) The color of the entire film ... hmmm, i thought it was more yellowish gray rather than black and white (cf. Schindler's list) ...

(iii) Maybe we are too accustomed to Hollywood's depiction of war and the holocaust ... hence, this film comes across as less dramatic and unsentimental (in terms of the script) but is supposed to touch (by virtue of the topic itself) ...

Deserve a watch, mainly for its ending thoughts ... very different ... as for the rest of the film, do not expect Hollywood style of war drama ...

Postby R6dw6C » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Quote:Deserve a watch, mainly for its ending thoughts ... very different ... as for the rest of the film, do not expect Hollywood style of war drama ...

Sounds great! A Hollywood-style war drama was exactly what I expected and the reason why I avoided the film when it was released theatrical here in Germany although it had a great decoy: An old-fashioned score by Maestro Ennio Morricone!
Maybe I'll have a try on DVD (and afterwards, I will probably get angry that I didn't went to the theater two years ago).

Return to Film Talk