No. 2 (New Zealand) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

No. 2 (New Zealand) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Sun May 07, 2006 2:57 am

Director: Toa Fraser
Cast: Ruby Dee, Rene Naufahu, Xavier Horan, Taungaroa Emile, Mia Blake, Miriama McDowell, Tuva Novotny

It won the Sundance Film Festival 2006 Audience Award.

It was also featured at Berlin Film Festival .

Synopsis
The film begins with a grandmother reminiscing about the good old past ... and so, she begins insisiting on a feast ... whereby only her grandchildren are invited ... and NOT her children (because they are all "useless") ... and NO outsiders ... she will also name her successor on this day ... and she claims, it will be a day that will be not forgotten in years to come ...

My thoughts ...
- What is really good ...
(i) I think it is a film that describes human relationship and family relationship rather well ... amidst the quarrel and love, there is always some feeling for one another ...
(ii) what exactly is life ... at the beginning of the film, there is some lament about gone are those days of life and spirit in and around the house ... what is more interesting/thought provoking is ... even if it is some squabbles, quarrels or fights ... it is still what life and family is all about ... hopefully, these are harmless ones ...

(iii) at the beginning of the film, one may wonder if the grandmother is kind of too authoritative/or domineering/or demanding ... and the auience would be keen to know where the film takes us ... but by the end of the film, one will have to agree that there is some change of opinions (i.e., about the grandmother and about the family as a whole ...)
(iv) Also, the audience will be introduced to a slice of Fiji music and its culture ...

- I think the "No. 2" has several meanings ...
(i) I think it is the number of the house. The entire story revolves around this house ... could it also hint at "family is No. 2" among many people?! ...
(ii) The grandmother will announce her No. 2 (i.e., successor) in the film.
(iii) could there be other "subtle" connotations?! ... I was thinking, there possibly is ... * am i crediting the title too much?! hee hee * ... I thought ... it also urged us to ponder ... what is No. 1 in all of us? ... do we place our family as No. 2? ... do we place other people as No. 2? etc ...
* hmmm, food for thought *

- Overall, I think it won the Audience Award in Sundance probably because it is a "feel good" movie ... ... and you will probably start reflecting on your family at the end of it all ...

Conclusion:
Recommended.
hengcs

Re: No. 2 (New Zealand) (2006)

Postby JPaulie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:32 am

Yeah I liked the film for the simple and plan reason that it really did portray what Pacific Island families are like, what we go through, sort of how our cultures work especially in a society (New-Zealand) different to what our elders were raised in (The Islands).

Kudos to this film and it makes me proud to be a New-Zealander at the same time and of Pacific Island heritage!!!
JPaulie

Postby justindeimen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm

To be perfectly honest, I did not like this very much. Far be it from me to talk about the traditions displayed in the film but the interpersonal relationships and trials the family is put through in the one day was far too petty, contrived and mean-spirited for me to care or in some instances (when it wants to), be even amused by.

What I did like is the fantastic amount of talent New Zealand has (even if its star is American), made even more remarkable when you have to zero in on non-actors who are Pacific Islanders. This comes after also viewing Sione's Wedding, which had a totally different cast and laudable performances.
justindeimen

Postby hengcs » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:50 am

I have also watched Sione's wedding ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk