Another top 10 list

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Another top 10 list

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:53 am

Welsh Cinema continued(hoping some other people may be interested);the definintive book on the subject is Dave Berry's Wales and the Cinema,1996,encyclopaedic knowledge,huge amount of research.
Hedd Wyn, and Solomon and Gaenor were both nominated for the Foreign Film Oscar(though i thought the latter dull and dour,if well-meaning),but overlooked by the British Academy/Baftas.The Baftas,and other London-based cultural awards don't seem to know Welsh culture exists.
Peter Greenaway,the international director,was born in Wales(some English film guides wrongly give this as London),of a Welsh mother.The late Richard Marquand,from Cardiff, directed Jagged Edge,and Return of the Jedi(probably the weakest of the franchise,i must admit).Roald Dahl,whose books have been filmed several times,was born in Cardiff also,of Norwegian parents.He also wrote the script for the Bond film You Only Live Twice.Terry Jones directed (and starred in) the 2 best Monty Python films.Ivor Novello was the British pre-war film heart-throb.The best-known Welsh actors are Anthony Hopkins,Richard Burton,Ray Milland,Jonathon Pryce(Brazil,etc),Timothy Dalton(James Bond),Catherine Zeta Jones,Stanley Baker(Zulu),Ioan Gruffudd.The great pioneering American director D.W.Griffith used to boast he was descended from Welsh princes.Bob Hope and Bette Davis are among the Welsh-parentage American stars.(At least 11 American presidents had Welsh roots,Frank Lloyd Wright was extremely proud of his Welshness)
Of Welsh language films,i also enjoyed Un Nos Ola Leuad/One Full Moon,and Elenya(a Welsh-Polish co-production).The Welsh-Russian animations have been quite impressive.I understand The Life Story of David Loyd George is an important recent silent discovery(i've not seen it).
Various famous films were shot in Wales,including From Russia with Love,The Vikings,Moby Dick,An American Werewolf in London,The Lion in Winter,Carry on up the Khyber(Snowdonia as India).
There,i've done my bit to put Wales on the world cinema map.I'd better stop now before i'm accused of taking over the website for nationalistic purposes,even if the site is for sharing info.on different countries' cinema.Dymuniadau Gorau.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:10 pm

julesdabest,i've spent too long on the website than is good for me,and probably for other site users, this weekend(a bit of a novelty)so will desist,but feel welcome to Email me ,for further discussions about Wales,France,Films,whatever.I'd still like to know about your Director/Screenwriter relatives,but not on this site.
john-5

Postby julesdabest » Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:56 pm

John-5 i have sent you an e-mail but im not sure if you received it. Has any one seen the circle, the piano teacher and kandahar and if so are they any good?
julesdabest

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:46 am

Well,i didn't stay away for long;i thought you might have been trying to email me.I've had a problem with the computer,and my email is now; john@jdavies96.fsnet.co.uk
The Circle and Kandahar are showing in a double bill at the Wyeside Arts Centre,Builth Wells on 27th Jan,if i remember rightly;are they on at Theatr Gwynedd or is this a coincidence you mentioned them?
john-5

Postby julesdabest » Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:54 pm

Yes the Circle and Kandahar are showing in Theatre Gwynedd, I definitely want to see The Circle but am unsure about Kandahar. Last week I saw Amelie and I didn't like it either, there where a few amusing moments but on the whole it was pretty unbearable. On a message board I read that you didn't like Life is Beautiful either. I wouldn't call Life is Beautiful a good film but I think its a better film than Amelie, Begnini is much more enjoyable to watch and I would call it a good end of the week film but nothing more. In my e-mail to you I gave an over-long resume of my family's connection with cinema, so I’ll just tell you the basics. My grandfather, Emyr Humphreys, is a novelist and scriptwriter and has worked with such famous actors as Richard Burton when he was doing radio plays for the bbc. One of my uncles, Dewi Humphreys, has directed several sitcoms for the bbc such as the vicar of dibley and my family, he also worked as a cameraman on the boys of brazil and monty python the life of brian among others. The other uncle, Sion Humphreys, has worked with bbc Wales and s4c and has directed several tv/movies for s4c including y gosb and dwy briodas which is an adaptation of John Gwilym Jones' play. I think they are very good and believe they are not very well known.
julesdabest

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:55 pm

Emyr Humphreys-"Outside the House of Baal","The Three Voices" etc?To my shame ,i've not read his books-i've been watching too many films,obviously- but i understand he's one of Wales' finest novelists.
I thought the first half of Life is Beautiful was pleasant enough,but i found the second quite ludicrous(even allowing that it wasn't meant as serious realism),and i find Benigni extremely irritating.So it's really a subjective opinion.
We seem to be hogging this thread.
john-5

Postby julesdabest » Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:07 pm

Yes its the same Emyr Humphreys, and I agree that we do seem to be hogging this message board, which is a shame because it would be great to hear from other people, don't you agree john-5? My favourite websites on foreign films are filmref.com sensesofcinema.com nostalgia.com and this one, any recomendations? Has any one seen Freeze Die Come to life? Begnini is he any good in Jarmusch's films? The only films by jarmusch that I have seen are Stranger Than Paradise, Dead man and Ghost Dog.
julesdabest

Postby mariposa112070 » Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:31 pm

julesdabest I'd love to share this recommendation with you. Of course, if it's not too late (you posted your question in jan.). Benigni is excellent in "Down By Law." He is so funny and the film is throughly enjoyable. He does a fine job in "Night on Earth." Although I do believe Down.. to be a better film. But they do not necessarily need to be compared. I am a definite fan of Jarmusch, I also recommend "Mystery Train," Benigni is not in that one, but it's great. See for yourself and enjoy. Blwyddyn newydd dda. I don't know what that means but I saw that a few of you Welshman signed off that way. What does it mean? Chao, Vanessa
mariposa112070

Postby john-5 » Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:05 pm

It means Happy New Year! Jules is right to recommend Senses of Cinema website; this is excellent, for coverage of World cinema, has informative articles on a range of subjects, including great directors, as well as an ongoing poll of top 10's (which i see Jules has entered). There's a current poll of top 5's by women directors.
john-5

Postby somegreatmovies » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:00 pm

Speaking of which, have you sent in a top ten list to Senses of Cinema, john-5?
somegreatmovies

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk