Orchestra Seats (aka Avenue Montaigne) (Fauteuils d'orchestre) (2006) (France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Orchestra Seats (aka Avenue Montaigne) (Fauteuils d'orchestre) (2006) (France)

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:08 am

Director: Danile Thompson
Cast: Cecile De France, Albert Dupontel, Valerie Lemercier, Claude Brasseur, Suzanne Flon

This film is submitted by France for Oscar 2007 ! ;)

The official site
see
http://www.marsdistribution.com/xml/flash.html?cfilm=51720

Synopsis:
The story revolves around a girl who tries to make it big in Paris, a talented but unhappy pianist, a dramatic soap actress who yearns for cinematic casting, and an old man who tries to auction off his collections … and many other characters … Believe it or not, they are all there because a classical concert, a Feydeau play and an art collection auction are all happening around the area in Paris …

My thoughts:

-- The film opened great, with a voice over that narrates … how she loves diamonds, luxury, etc … and so she went to Paris … and decided to work for the Ritz … as a room cleaner … (Imagery: The screen gets lighted slowly, like diamonds … but they are actually the lights of Paris (aka The City of Lights …)

… This opening also tied in remarkably with the ending scene … as the voice over narrates again … about daring to dream, and being risk taking … after all, it is your life! ;)

-- What really stood out has to be the "realism" of its portrayal of life and characters, even though the plot is not as fast pace … it is light hearted and casually paced … but as you watch the film, you start to feel for the characters and you start to ponder about life … it covers all themes … from family to friends, from career to likes, etc … it deals with the ironies of life, but it all celebrates life … it brings laughters as well as tears …

… Although it is NOT one of those films that will grip you from the beginning till the end (i.e., with its plot), it is one of those films that will allow you to "experience" life with its characters, chew at it, think about it, laugh at it … ;)

… and probably with a second viewing or more, you have a "new" realization … like "Les Choristes" and some other films, audience may or may not be gripped by it immediately … but at the end, they are most probably going to feel something for the film …

-- If you find the story "contrived" (like in other films when they try to make all the characters somehow meet), at least go for the acting of the entire ensemble … they are all commendable, be it the "highly exaggerated" actress, the oppressed pianist, or the young girl, and the old grandmother, etc … they all carried their roles real well …

Conclusion:
Recommended. Will it make it to one of the 5 nominees in oscar?! Ha ha … maybe the french knows the voting americans (cf. Les Choristes) … a movie that "feels good" at the end … or more simply, a film about LIFE!

… it has something that all of us can likely identify with …

PS: To sum it all, life is like choosing an orchestra seat, you always want the best seat; you want to get closer to the stage, but sometimes you are too near for comfort, and to see the whole picture …
;)
hengcs

Re: Orchestra Seats (aka Avenue Montaigne) (Fauteuils d'orchestre) (2006) (France)

Postby hengcs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:14 am

Hey,
I have just realized that this film has two different English titles ...

Orchestra Seats (Canada: English title) (festival title)
Avenue Montaigne (USA)
hengcs

Re: Orchestra Seats (aka Avenue Montaigne) (Fauteuils d'orchestre) (2006) (France)

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Why oh why did you have to mention "Les Choristes" hengcs? Sorry but that's one film that I hope I never have to endure again...

Back to the film in question "Orchestra Seats", unfortunately I didn't get the same glow from it as hengcs did, it isn't as sickly as that film that should never be mentioned again or, dare I say it, "Joyeux Noel". It is however very safe, slightly amusing, lightweight and comes as no surprise that it was the French Oscar selection.

A multi-stranded ensemble piece revolving around Jessica (Ccile De France) with quite a well known French cast and Sydney Pollack. The film comes across as a mix of Amelie without the style and Bon Voyage (without the war).

Orchestra Seats is sadly indistinct and so frothy that it doesnt leave any real lasting impression, I doubt Ill remember much of it in a few days time.

One thing that may jog my memory though is the rather inept editing during the climax of the film, the scene shifts from art auction to opening night of the play to the orchestral concert with very little effort to make any form of connection between the scenes or to try and smooth the transition.

Recommended as light entertainment for its fun approach to life and its little problems but thats about all. Dont expect any real depth, or to find me rushing out for the dvd.

Cheers Trev.

R2 dvd is due to be released by Optimum Releasing in June.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 pm

Quote, "Why oh why did you have to mention "Les Choristes" hengcs? Sorry but that's one film that I hope I never have to endure again ... Back to the film in question "Orchestra Seats", unfortunately I didn't get the same glow from it as hengcs did, it isn't as sickly as that film that should never be mentioned again or, dare I say it, "Joyeux Noel". It is however very safe, slightly amusing, lightweight and comes as no surprise that it was the French Oscar selection."

(i) Ha ha ... now u know why i mention they know the VOTING COMMITTEE ... they r trying to target at them, rather than choose their best film ... ... Yup, all these films are targeted at the voting committee ... ha ah ha ... in order of my preference
-- Les Choristes (like a lot, although the first half did not amuse me initially ...)
-- Joyeux Noel (with repeated watching, u can see what the director is trying to bring out ... many many many commonalities amidst our differences ...)
-- Orchestra Seats (agree that i have forgotten a lot of scenes ... except for the beginning and ending ... ha ha)

(i) for les choristes ... if there was no server crashed, and u managed to see my old postings ... i did mention that the first half was pretty much like those other films on similar genre/issue ... but the moment the main protagonist started singing, i was like ... wow ... and the LYRICS were so meaningful ... and by the end, the audience may feel for them ... a FEEL GOOD movie ...

(ii) Joyeux Noel ... another of those films that do NOT grip ... but tell u the "plainest" and "realistic" thoughts of pple who are so different and yet so similar ... if it was not based on a true event, i would have "claimed" that the singing at the trenches during war time sounded absurd ... but what bought me over at the end (again despite its non gripping plot) is that it has such a great message ... that we are all so different and yet so similar ...

(iii) Orchestra Seats ... i also doubt it is the best film from France that year ... see me repeating NON gripping twice ... ha ha ha ... from the way i write, u can tell that i try to find some reasons to like the film ... and there are a few moments ... the beginning & ending ... and occasional "feel calm/peaceful/mildly joyous" moments ... it is one of those films that make u reflect what life is all abt ...
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:08 pm

There was one scene I think will stick, the pianist playing in a cancer hospital surrounded by patients including young children, it was the only scene that felt genuine and was quite moving.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk