1930's French Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

1930's French Films

Postby frenchfilmfan » Sun Dec 16, 2001 6:20 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I've just got back from seeing Julien Duvivier's "Un Carnet de Bal". Any fans of 1930's French films here?
frenchfilmfan

Re: 1930's French Films

Postby katsuben » Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:11 am

Yes, but I'm yet to watch a lot of Duvivier. This will be attended to in the near future. :)
katsuben

Postby frenchfilmfan » Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:55 pm

I've only seen two Duvivier films myself. I've seen quite a few Carne and Renoir films though. Good stuff.
frenchfilmfan

Postby john-5 » Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:53 pm

years ago(the early 80's, i'm showing my age)i studied French Cinema of the 30's as part of a uni.French course, so i've long been interested in the subject.I still love several Renoir- Partie de Campagne, La Regle du Jeu, Boudu Sauve des Eaux in particular-,also L'Atalante and Pagnol's Marius Trilogy.Other highly rated clasics include;L'Age d'Or,Le Million,Zero de Conduite,Le Crime de Monsieur Lange,Le Roman d'un Tricheur,Pepe le Moko(probably the best-known Duvivier), La Grande Illusion,La Bete Humaine,Le Jour se Leve.I wuold also strongly recommend two animated shorts by Starewicz: The Tale of the Fox(audacious and witty),and The Mascot(enchanting).
john-5

Postby Lafleurette » Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:22 pm

I have a lot of french films from the 30'. I go to France every year and come back with many french films which I have them converted. Does anybody speak French?
Lafleurette

Postby jancso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:49 pm

Hey, john-5, I would love to hear further thoughts from you on Pepe le Moko, La Bete Humaine, and Le Jour se Leve. Thanks.
jancso

Postby john-5 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:55 pm

Well, i enjoyed them all about equally. Can't go wrong with them if you're a Jean Gabin fan. All have superb performances, create memorable atmosphere and sense of tragic inevitability. Throw in La Grande Illusion and Quai des Brumes for a nice little 30's Gabin season. Max Ophuls' Le Plaisir (1952) is another i love- particularly the main central section in which a group of Parisian "ladies of ill repute" lodge at Gabin's country home for an idyllic weekend.
john-5

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:38 pm

I find Le Jour se Leve to be more powerful than Pepe le Moko and La Bete Humaine. I think La Bete Humaine is a bit weak for a Renoir film...he did much better in Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game in terms of story, performances, direction, and cinematography. Quai des Brumes is great as well, at least as good as Le Jour se Leve. I'm surprised Carne gets so little recognition comapared to Renoir...he was almost as good, maybe even equal to him.
jancso

Postby sanders112 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:43 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't seen "The Lower Depths" (1936). How does it compare to Rules of the Game in terms of style, acting, and dialogue?
sanders112

Postby iceomat » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:14 am

Speaking of 30's French films, Rene Clair's "Le Million" is showing on Sundance channel next Sat (8-10).
iceomat

Return to Film Talk