Shang Cheng (Confession of Pain) (2006) (Hong Kong)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Shang Cheng (Confession of Pain) (2006) (Hong Kong)

Postby hengcs » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:50 am

Director: Andrew Lau Wai Keung, Alan Mak Siu Fai
Cast: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Xu jing Lei, Shu Qi

Another highly anticipated film by many Chinese this december

The official site is
http://www.confessionofpain.com/

Here's the trailer (with English subtitles) ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktYVmpD64s
hengcs

Re: Shang Cheng (Confession of Pain) (2006) (Hong Kong)

Postby hengcs » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:05 am

My thoughts ...

(i) Philosophy on sadness/life?

Although framed as a "crime story", the film is more interested in philosophizing and characterization ... so, please look deeper than "who is guilty? ... or what actually happened? ..."

For those who are not aware, the Chinese title translates to "Hurt" and "City" ... highlighting the fact that all of us must have been hurt by the city sometime somewhen in our life ... many times, we cannot possibly get over these sorrows/events ...

So, the film deals with how the various characters try to overcome their misery ... should we drink ourself drunk? ... should we seek the truth? ... should we seek vengeance? ... etc ...

... maybe at the end, we would realize that whatever we have lost, we have already gained it back unknowingly, only to be destroyed by ourselves again ...

... maybe at the end, we thought we would do this and that ... but when it really happened ... we might not ... reality is so unpredictable ... etc

(ii) The entire cast has to be credited ... but I would like to commend on Tony Leong ... wow ... would he get a Best Actor Award in next year's Golden Horse? ... He is intense ...

As for Takeshi and Xu Jing Lei, they are both great actors who have been given tough roles ... so, watch and tell me how many points you give them ...

There are also great scenes by the supportinmg cast ... esp. Chapman To ... and to some extent, Shu Qi ... but I guess the humor might be better in Cantonese ...

(iii) finally, the soundtrack/music/songs ... to keep the pacing, the soundtrack has an impt role ... likewise, to stir your emtions, a few of the songs really sounded at the correct momemts ...

Conclusion:
Highly recommended ... in particular, i have to commend on Tony Leong ... wow ... would he get a Best Actor Award in next year's Golden Horse? ... if you are a mainstream audience, it has a nice plot to engage you (although it is initially slow, it gets better) ... so, please AVOID reading too many reviews with spoilers, it kind of spoil the fun (if any) ... and if you are a more pensive person, it has some impt messages abt sadness/life ...

PS: Is it another Infernal Affairs? No ... it is actually VERY DIFFERENT ...
hengcs

Postby A » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:49 am

Thanks for the post hengcs. I have watched the trailer and it looks like an interesting action-comedy Drama. I have been completely out of touch with Hongkong productions of the last three years, and need to catch up. Seeing some actors and actresses I like together on screen could help to revive my interest. My last visit to a Film Festival geared towards Hong Kong has been at least two years ago, and although I saw mainly mainstream productions, I have fond memories of it. The Filmindustry in Hong Kong used to be so alive during the 90s, but while it seemed that it might run out of gas for a couple of years afterwards, I have the feeling it is struggling for a comeback.
Hopefully.

And if nothing works, I still have some Shaw Brothers films on DVD that I haven`t seen yet.
A

Postby hengcs » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:56 am

"latest" news ...

Hong Kong cop thriller "Confessions of Pain" starring Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro will be remade by Hollywood. William Monahan, who won the Academy Award for best adapted screenplay for writing "Departed," will adapt "Pain" and executive produce.

"The Departed" will likely star Leonardo DiCaprio in it.
wow ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk