Canadian Film

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Canadian Film

Postby stof_ » Mon Dec 17, 2001 11:33 pm

Though I love foreign films from all over the world, I have a special place in my heart for Canadian films. The sad part is that I'm Canadian and I still regard these films as foreign. Despite government financial assistance for films, only 3 percent of Canadian box office revenue is for Canadian film.
This website is one of the few places where I can find what I'm looking for.
So far my favourites are Last night, Hard Core Logo, Cube and Rock and Rule.
does anybody else have any suggestions?
stof_

Re: Canadian Film

Postby thegreatken1 » Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:38 pm

My favorite Canadian film is "Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy". I don't know if that film is pure Canadian or not.
thegreatken1

Postby stof_ » Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:32 am

Hahaha. That ones on my must see list. Kids in the hall are the greatest.
stof_

Postby katsuben » Sat Dec 22, 2001 5:53 am

Have you seen Atom Egoyan's CALENDAR? A nice blur between fiction and non-fiction. Typically subtle narrative revelation. A lot of sheep.
katsuben

Postby stof_ » Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:08 am

Haven't seen Calendar yet, but I did just watch Jesus of Montreal. This is an incredible film. No matter what your beliefs or philosophies are, I recommend it.
stof_

Postby thegreatken1 » Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:02 am

Do you like David Kronenberg? He is the king of Canadian sci-fi, like "Dead Ringers". He also did William S. Burroughs's "The Naked Lunch". It is so hard to detect Canadian film.
thegreatken1

Postby stof_ » Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:30 pm

Kronenburg is an odd one alright. So far Ive only seen the fly and Crash. but I'm getting around to seeing Naked lunch, dead ringers, existenz and videodrome. Ive also seen Last night, in which he plays a supporting role. Apparently he has a new one coming out this year called Spider.
stof_

Postby wanderingstar » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:38 am

Exotica is probably my favourite Canadian film (the director of one of your favourites, Last Night, plays in Exotica). The only Canadian film I've seen lately that's worth mentioning was Lost and Delirious, by Lea Pool.
wanderingstar

Postby shoehorn » Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:01 am

My favorite Canadian film and one of my top 3 favorites of all time is "Leolo", the 1992 film by Jean-claude Lauzon. It is the most gut wrenching, heartbraking, yet beautiful film I have ever seen.
shoehorn

Postby stof_ » Thu May 16, 2002 7:23 pm

I've recently seen three films, each more wonderful than the last. Bruce Sweeny's Last Wedding was an unsettling look at marital unhappiness. Bruce Beresford's Black Robe delt with the attempted conversion of Native Americans by the French Canadians. And Best of all, Thom Fitzgerald's The Hanging Garden is quite possibly one of the best films I've ever seen. It's made all the more disturbing with its elements of magic realism.
If anybody has seen any of these films I'd love your input on them.
stof_

Next

Return to Film Talk