Death Note 1 and 2 (2006) (Japan)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Death Note 1 and 2 (2006) (Japan)

Postby hengcs » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:55 am

Director: Shusuke Kaneko
Cast: Tatsuya Fujiwara, Kenichi Matsuyama, Asaka Seto, Yu Kashii, Shigeki Hosokawa, Erika Toda

A box office hit in Asia ...

I have just watched it ... but let me get back to my work ...
hengcs

Re: Death Note 1 and 2 (2006) (Japan)

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 am

I have just watched it ... but let me get back to my work ...

Does that mean it wasn't worth talking about or just that you're very busy at the moment, either way I hope you will write more.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:29 am

i will write something ... i just need time ...
ha ha ha ...
hengcs

Postby A » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:12 am

So what is the movie like.
Another average Japanese horror film?
A

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:18 am

All I know is that it's another manga adaptation that's also been re-worked as an anime. Haven't seen either but hopefully hengcs will fill us in with more info.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 am

Much better than "horror"
somehow, i am not a fan of horror films ...
why pay to scare yourself? ha ha ha

I have watched BOTH Death Note 1 and 2 ...
Singapore theaters have this nice gimmick ... called the Death Note Marathon ... where you watch both films ...

Anyway, BOTH are pretty good, some like 1 better while others like 2 better ... ok ok ... i write more ...

by the way, the movie was a NICE departure frm the comic ... such that even if you know the comic, you are still "anticipating" what happens in the movie ...

in essence, it is a rather "battle of wits" (as audience wonder what would happen next and who would outwit who) ... plus "very philosophical" (typical abt japanese films ) ... kind of movie ...
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Death Note 1

Synopsis:
Adapted from the Japanese manga, the film opened with Light (the main protagonist), a top student studying Law (and believes in justice) chancing upon a notebook, whereby he subsequently knows can kill people simply with their names written in it ... as many "criminals" escaped loopholes of the law are being subsequently acted upon by Light, many Japanese begin to be followers of Light (without knowing who he actually is ...) ... The movie challenges the limitation of law and the power to exercise justice on others ... As the views divide, the police also begins attempting to track who is Light ... the BATTLE OF WITS begin ... who will win?

What is commendable ...

-- Somehow, I believe present audience wish to be "surprised" by the plot/script. This is even more so in a cat and mouse story ... throughout, the audience are drawn into guessing whether the main protagonist will be able to escape from the tracking by the police ... even the last scene was a very witty scene ...

-- To me, the philosophical issues in discussion are also interesting. Especially so in the beginning, the main protagonist seems righteous/assertive of his acts ( as he punishes criminals who have managed to escape the loopholes in law/court sentences) ... However, who are we to decide whether these people are really guilty? ...

-- Likewise, when the story proceeds (i.e., when Light is being tracked) ... the audience is again made to wonder ... are the police right in trying to prosecute a man who helps to eradicate those who abuse the loopholes of law ... versus ... whether the main protagonist is abusing his power (when all he is trying to do is to prevent the police from tracking him and subsequently let the "imperfect law" reigns again ...

What could be better ...

-- Although there are a number of surprises, I have to admit that the debatable "misuse" of power is not unexpected ... although the script writers do try to make it less obvious initially, many audience would tend to side with the police as the story goes on ...

-- Also, some lines may come across as being deliberate in trying to philosophize or make the audience think ...

Conclusion:
Highly Recommended ... As the film seems to target at primarily mainstream audience, I have to admit that the battle of wits is rather engaging ... and you do wonder who will win and who will lose ... As for those who wish to see some depth in the script/theme, there are at least some philosophical issues to ponder over ...

PS: Will write Death Note 2 if I have the time next week ... no promise ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk